Monday 27 May 2013

2013 Ford Explorer Sport

While I was glad to hear that I was going to get the chance to roll around in the new Explorer Sport for a week, I had so many things I wanted to know. How was it going to perform? How practical would it be? Is it possible that this could fit into my lifestyle? Well, I think I found out the answers to those questions and more.

With all of the SUV's on the market, I think this one could be the sexiest, just the right combination of bling and zing that gets my heart pumping. I drove the Explorer Limited last year and knew that I liked the way it looked and the way it handled, my thoughts were with a bit more power this could be something to be reckoned with.

Look out SRT8 Jeeps, look out Durango R/T this thing is here to compete. It may not have the power and torque of the big V8's but it will be right there when push comes to shove, and it does it with it's 365 HP 3.5l EcoBoost engine  and a beefed up suspension. It powers it through all of the twists and turns and makes sure you can reign it in when it comes time to hit the brakes.

So needless to say, I like it, I like it a lot, driving it makes me happy. Part of it has to do with the blacked-out exterior treatment, nothing says badboy like tinted windows, a blacked-out grille and 20 inch wheels!

But how practical is this beast? Is it able to allow a family to enjoy it? Well, here are some requirements I expect of a family vehicle :

SAFETY
Is it going to be safe? - This one should do the trick. It is equipped with just enough air bags to keep you protected in the event of an accident. This year, they even added front knee air bags also, and the rear inflatable seat belts are an industry first.

With the Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) it gives a second way to make sure those lane changes don't end poorly. This Explorer is also equipped with Curve Control, it will take over and slow the vehicle if you try to make a turn too quickly. So this one gets a passing grade for safety.

COMFORT
Is it comfortable for everyone? - Well it has the extra row of seating in it so even if you had a family of 6 I think you would be happy. The second row should not be used for more than 2 teenaged children, the third position is there for an emergency only as I can't see someone travelling comfortably there.

The seats however, are quite comfortable. I enjoyed driving it for hours at a time, my son even asked if we could buy it as he was taken in by the moon roof and the 12 speaker Sony stereo with all of it's gadgets, and the heated and cooled seats. What can I say, he's like his dad and enjoys all of the simple things in life.

Also equipped with the rain sensing wipers, the smooth shifting 6 speed automatic and the Adaptive Cruise Control that will slow you down and speed you up based on the proximity of the vehicle in front of you, I would have to say it's doing OK. I did not like the collision alert though as I think I put a bullet in my shorts a couple times thanks to it - it's the last thing you want to see when passing someone at highway speeds.

AFFORDABILITY
Cost, both up front and down the road. - Well lets just say it will not be the easiest thing on your pocket book when you purchase it, ringing in at $48,000 or so for a base Sport. The one I tested chimed in at a bit heftier $55,000....that smarts a little. But not when you compare it to similarly equipped competition, then it is right in the mix.

As for repairs, well for the first three years or 60,000 km don't expect to pay for anything more than regular maintenance. The drive train they have you covered for 5 years and 100,000 km. Now keeping the petrol in this beast, that will be the hard part as I was able to manage 13L/100km combined highway and city. That's not anywhere close to what Ford claims at 13.2 L/100KM for city and highway rated at 8.8L/100KM. But the truth of the matter is I did have a bit of a heavy foot as I set out to enjoy my time with it. Comparing it to the competition I would say it still did quite well.

Overall, I really enjoyed this vehicle as it did pretty much what I hoped it would do. The way it looks made me expect better performance as I think this is a sweet looking machine, but Ford chose to throw in some practicality and made it a winning combo. It was a hit with everyone who accompanied me in it  and I did not want to give it back when the time came. What it boiled down to in the end, is that I'm a sucker for a pretty face!

Disclosure : This vehicle was provided by Ford Of Canada











4 comments:

  1. Great write-up Don! I like the Explorer Sport too. A nice piece and well done by Ford.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very well put together piece. I think stepping up the power might have helped a bit. But I understand that consistency is the way any manufacturer needs to go. This engine has proven to be the way to go in everything form trucks to cars. Now I wonder if the can squeeze it into a Fiesta???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post is really interesting.I enjoyed your wrote down things.I like sports very much.
    _________
    Window Tint Maryland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne, I recently took one out on the track and it performed every bit as good as I expected. I don't know how you could go wrong with the performance and comfort the Sport offers!

      Delete